[thelist] Controlling one Flash movie from another

Johnson, Christopher (MTO) Christopher.Johnson at mto.gov.on.ca
Wed Jun 2 15:50:35 CDT 2004

-----Original Message-----
>From: Chris Price
>
>I have something happening but not what I want.
>
>In the first frame of the parent movie I have:
>loadMovieNum ("MyMovie.swf",1)
>
>In the 2nd frame:
>tellTarget ("_level1") {
>    gotoAndPlay ("playThis");
>}
>
>MyMovie now plays the frame with label "playThis" repeatedly.
>
>Whichever frame I target, it just flickers - the movie doesn't move on.

In the parent movie, on the second frame, what are you doing? From the
sounds of it, the parent movie is looping and repeatedly calling the
gotoAndPlay("playThis"); command.

In addition, can I assume that the child movie is a simple movie that you
want to start from a given location and play through to the end (or to a
prescribed stop() position) and is several frames in length?

I would take a look at what is happening in the 2nd frame of the parent
movie. What you have coded should be working for you. How complicated are
the two movies that you are using? Perhaps creating a test project where all
you do is call the child movie from a blank parent movie might, at least,
allow you to see it working correctly (just a thought).

Anyway, more details, more details, more details.

And yes, one movie can control another movie (within limits). I have done it
many times on many projects. Which is what leads me to believe that the
problem is somewhere else and not with the code listed above.

chris