[thelist] creating client section, password protected

Burhan Khalid thelist at meidomus.com
Sun Jun 6 07:40:00 CDT 2004

Christy Collins wrote:

> My experience does not extend far beyond html and css.
>
> I am doing a trade with a graphic designer that I do some work with.
> She has a side business making invitations and wants a website.  She
> wants to have a password protected section where her clients can log in
> and see her progress on their invitations.
>
> The way to do that within the realm of my experience would be to create
> a protected directory for each client, then send an e-mail to each
> client that would contain the url to their directory and their username
> and password.
>
> The snazzy way would be to have a login on her homepage where the user
> enters in their username and password and then is taken to their
> corresponding progress page.
>
> So what technologies should I be looking at for the snazzy way?  Is
> there a way to do it without getting involved with databases, which I
> know very little about?  Any articles or tutorials about this sort of
> thing would be appreciated.

Try this zend tutorial[1] for a great start. Probably will give you all
the code you need.

If you are after a more robust solution -- you can give phpprojekt[2] a try.

I would also consider Basecamp[3] which looks promising, but is not free
although at $19/month -- looks like well worth the price.

--
Burhan

[1] http://www.zend.com/zend/tut/authentication.php
[2] http://www.phprojekt.com