[thelist] [Site Check] http://www.saveinverclyderoyal.com

sandra sandra.miller1969 at ntlworld.com
Wed Jun 9 16:49:48 CDT 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "dave [ evolt ]" <evoltlist at dropcase.com>
To: <thelist at lists.evolt.org>
Sent: Wednesday, June 09, 2004 8:33 PM
Subject: Re: [thelist] [Site Check] http://www.saveinverclyderoyal.com

> >> - In Gecko your "save" title in the green is not showing up. It is
> >> being covered up by the body. IE is fine but I think you want to fix
> >> that.
> >

> > In Mozilla too. Could it be the <p> around the logo text? Maybe you
> > could remove that?

> hi sandra,
> looks good, and like tom said, the "save" text isn't visible for me
> either, using mozilla 1.6 on XP (but is fine in IE). part of it is
> highlighted for comparison:
> http://www.dropcase.com/saveinverclyde_moz.jpg
> if you remove the <p> tag like kasmir suggested, it will fix the problem
> (at least it did when i tested it locally).

I've removed the <p> tags at this div now, thanks for that.

> > One quick test I often do is viewing the site without stylesheets, and
> > with this I noticed that all your navigations are at the bottom of the
> > page, if you had <div id="top"> before the logo and content, then it
> > would appear always on the top. Another drawback of having the
> > nav-divs at the end of the document is, that they download last - no
> > big, you might say, as it's all text, but I've just been strugling
> > couple weeks without adsl, and the dial-up speeds I get are usually
> > around 20 - 30 kbps... and then you do notice this kind of details...

I think that is the lazy slob in me, it was easier to put the navigation
links in one include file so that I could quickly change them. I've placed
them more in the page sequence now. I've also removed the validators. I've
only ever done websites for a laugh before and thought that it might have
been the done thing to show them - also the fact that I actually managed to
make a site that DID validate I think I was a bit excited about that!

> > <tip type="reality check">
> > every now and then, forget that fat pipe of yours, and use dial-up for
> > a day - it gives you a whole new perspective.
> > </tip>
> >
> > .k

Good point, perhaps a case of "Mr Ambassador with this broadband connection
you are really spoiling us!"

> - on the articles.php page you have &amp; showing instead of the
> ampersand, and i get a 404 on the sponsors.php page (verified in moz /
IE).

The sponsors page is being added to all the time, it IS there occasionally
at the moment!

> other than that, it looks good, and is easy to navigate through... and i
> agree with k on the navigation div. it's an eye-opener to view pages
> with css turned off. great job...

Thanks for the positives on the layout and navigation. My audience for this
will be wildly different in terms of internet usage and it's really
important that people can use this website easily and with minimum fuss. I'd
still appreciate other people's views on it - and if I can be really cheeky
I would really appreciate someone having a look at the "Contact Details"
page in browsers other than Microsoft IE as this is the first time I've been
bold enough to use CSS in a table and I'd like to be sure it's working. The
tables should have white on green headers with black text and blue links in
the body.

<tip>
Even if your pages validate on an internet site, always have it checked over
by real, live designers. They will always pick up things that you miss</tip>

---
Mail Scanned with AVG Anti Virus http://www.grisoft.com/