[thelist] Spam: A new method

Frank lists at frankmarion.com
Thu Jun 10 15:58:15 CDT 2004

At 04:27 PM 2004-06-10, you wrote:
>Not that I would assume that spamming makes sense   ;)  but maybe
>this spammer just tries to fake the sender using your address - ?

>A customer of mine recently receives this kind of bouncer spam,
>and I told him the spammer is simply faking the sender address...

It does make sense.  The spammer does fake a "To" address, say
"null at bitbucket.kr". It's a known bad address. He or she then places the
desired recipient in the "from" address, so that it bounces back to the
"from" address. Or at least that's how I interpret what was happening on
our machine. We've got all relays closed down hard. We had to call our
upstream, who then shut these 4 networks off.

--
Frank Marion     lists at frankmarion.com      Keep the signal high.