[thelist] Retainer Arrangements

patrick pms at stoutstreet.com
Wed Jun 16 09:01:02 CDT 2004

Norman Bunn wrote:

> I have a client who is interested in purchasing a set number of hours
> a week for a year in exchange for a reduced hourly rate.  This idea is
> intriguing and I wondered if any of you have such arrangements in
> place.  This seems similar to having a lawyer on retainer or, heaven
> forbid!, like a cell phone agreement.  I am not sure how to structure
> this and would appreciate any insight you might provide.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Norman

Make sure that you set out your rate if the client exceeds the
agreed-upon hours. I have a similar agreement with a client and it works
well. Watch, however, that you do not refer to yourself as the 'IT
guy'....because you WILL be asked to do/fix everything to do with
PCs......scope out what you will be doing, just like a regular project.

--

patrick sanders
http://www.stoutstreet.com