[thelist] Re: thelist Digest, Vol 16, Issue 36

Tim Beadle tim.beadle at iop.org
Mon Jun 21 02:31:35 CDT 2004

On Sat, 2004-06-19 at 02:02, Diane Soini wrote:
> I gotta disagree on this for the following:
> I HATE links that open PDFs or other non-HTML files unexpectedly in the
> same window. Especially do I hate it if my plugin chokes and the
> browser crashes. Then I have to start all over.
>
> I MUCH prefer PDF and Word docs and all that other stuff to open in a
> new blank window. It is a shame to eliminate such a useful attribute.

Diane,

You have to remember that you have web experience, and you know what
you're doing. Someone less clueful might fit the "panicked user" profile
much better. Just because you find opening PDF documents in new windows
useful, doesn't mean that someone else might find it annoying. At the
end of the day, if target is *not* set, you have the choice to
right-click->open in new window. If target *is* set, then you don't have
the option to open in the same window.

Tim
--
Tim Beadle <tim.beadle at iop.org>

Institute of Physics
Registered charity No. 293851
76 Portland Place, London, W1B 1NT, England

IOP Publishing Limited
Registered in England under Registration No 467514.
Registered Office: Dirac House, Temple Back, Bristol BS1 6BE England

This e-mail message has been checked for the presence of computer viruses.