[thelist] Creating a desktop link to a web page

Casey Crookston casey at thecrookstons.com
Tue Jun 22 15:43:38 CDT 2004

We're all familiar with the "click here to add this page to your favorites"
link. I have a client who would like to take this one step further.

She's developed a web-based tool which has become popular with some of her
clients, and would like a link on the web page, which, when clicked, creates
a desktop icon. later, when that icon is double clicked, a browser is opened
to her page.

How would one go about doing this? I don't have any problem creating the
icon file (.ico), but I don't know how to code the link to create the icon
on the user's desktop. Is this even possible?

Thanks!

Ccrookston