[thelist] Creating a desktop link to a web page

Ken Schaefer ken at adOpenStatic.com
Wed Jun 23 02:19:25 CDT 2004

Are you talking about the shortcut files that IE uses in Windows?

Please the following into a text file:

[DEFAULT]
BASEURL=http://www.adopenstatic.com/
[InternetShortCut]
URL=http://www.adopenstatic.com/

and save this file using the name you'd like displayed (eg Ken's
AdOpenStatic Site). Change the extension from .txt to .url

Viola!

A trick I was shown was:

Start -> Run -> Cmd
Enter "Edit"
Now browser to an existing shortcut file (eg one you have in your IE
Favourites folder), and open it. You will what's inside.

To set the Icon to be used:

IconFile=%systemroot%\system32\url.dll
IconIndex=0

(these are the defaults - change IconIndex to point to whatever file you
have with an embedded image resource, and IconIndex to indicate which icon
should be used, if there are multiple icons in the file)

Cheers
Ken