[thelist] What css browser bug needs "background: transparent"?

pandy pandion at gmx.net
Sat Jun 26 02:21:56 CDT 2004

Elly wrote:
>The link pseudo class selectors validate with color and no background
>specified. That would have given me the answer to my question. All my
>style sheets validate.
>
>Not sure how you're getting that, since I can also submit an element or
>class with color specified, and no background color, with warnings set to
>"All" in w3.org's css validatior, and all comes out clean.

It's a warning, not an error. A document can have warnings and still
validate. But you are right, I think the validator has stopped to issue
this specific warning. Don't know if it's per design or a  bug. The
explanation is still in the FAQ though. Maybe you don't use to have
warnings turned on?

_________
Why does the validator complain You have no background-color with your color?
If you don't specify color and background-color at the same level of
specifity, your style sheet might clash with user style sheets. To avoid
this, specify always both of them, see Section 9.1 "Color Contrast" in the
W3C Note "CSS Techniques for Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 1.0" or
the article CSS Color Issues by the CSS Pointers Group for a discussion.
<http://www.websitedev.de/css/validator-faq>

NOW do you believe us? ;-)

pandy