[thelist] ignore xml whitespace?

Diane Soini dianesoini at earthlink.net
Sat Jun 26 09:58:21 CDT 2004

I've been struggling to use xml in javascript because of differences in
how browsers see whitespace. When I call hasChildNodes() one browser
counts whitespace as childNodes while another skips whitespace and
counts elements as childNodes.

I looked on mozilla.org to see if there was an "ignoreWhite=true"
property like actionscipt has, but only found a normalize() function,
but that didn't help me. They also posted some javascript code to
ignore whitespace but that just locked up my computer in an endless
loop. Perhaps I used it wrong? I don't know, but I didn't want to keep
trying after a few lock-ups.

Help?

***
Don't be afraid to try something new. An amateur built the ark.
Professionals built the Titanic. -unknown