[thelist] Word for websites?

Mike Migurski mike-evolt at teczno.com
Mon Jun 28 09:59:21 CDT 2004

> Are later versions of Word acceptable for websites (I use 2000). If not,
> why do people use them for that?

My experience with my last job in a corporate environment was that people
will use MS Office for everything design or document related, because it's
the one familiar tool they have available to them. Personally I think Word
is wildly inappropriate, because it generates terrible HTML and
reinforces the mistaken idea that layout for the printed page translates
well to the web in all cases.

If Word is part of a workflow where the generated output is run through
Tidy and the content editors understand that their formatting decisions
will be ignored, then why not?