[thelist] how did you learn?

Chris Price chris.price at choctaw.co.uk
Tue Jun 29 03:18:42 CDT 2004

On 29/6/04 6:40 am, "Paul Bennett" <bennettpr at yahoo.com> wrote:

> How did you first begin your learning? Did you pick up a book?
> Go to online forums? Ask a friend? Take a short course?

I started out on a 2 day course using Dreamweaver 2 and went on to learn
html because Dreamweaver wouldn't do what I wanted. I bought a beginners
book on html which, although it got me started, established many bad habits.

I took on the job of looking after the company website and learned loads
because the site had already been built but it was extremely untidy and I
was lucky enough to be given the time to unravel it. It was also Java driven
so it was fascinating picking out the html.

The best thing I ever did was discover Evolt. Once I was on the list I
discovered many other online resources such as Sitepoint.

If I had to choose between a course, a book or an online forum, I wouldn't
hesitate to choose the forum. Judging by all the crap out there most people
must just use a teach-yourself book after going on a 2 day Dreamweaver
course taken by an instructor who wouldn't know html if he fell over it.

That's my 2p worth

--
Chris price