SV: [thelist] how did you learn?

Andreas Wahlin Andreas.Wahlin at ufl.gu.se
Tue Jun 29 06:21:32 CDT 2004

I spent 2 years learning programming and other informatics stuff at
university. We had one course in php/sql and one short in html (just
basics).
So javascript came naturally to me after that. Then it was a matter of
knowing what could probably be done and track it down on the internet.
I learned the difference between server side and client side, asp,
javascript, DOM (man was that a discovery!), most css, how (and why) not
to use tables, good stuff about wai - almost all by myself by just
reading stuff on websites. I've spent 9 months in my current job (where
I had to learn all that stuff) so I'm not as good as I sound. To me,
it's about knowing what exists, then learn the specifics as they are
needed.
>From my university studies, I got a love for structure and standards,
from the web I got the rest. I did read a book on HTML2 once (imagine
that!)
My main concern now is that my knowledge is a bit like a swizz cheese,
it looks good most of the time but there are undeniable holes in it,
holes that might not matter but then again might :)

Andreas