[thelist] how did you learn?

Luther, Ron ron.luther at hp.com
Tue Jun 29 07:20:09 CDT 2004

Paul Bennett asked:

>>How did you first begin your learning?

Hi Paul,

About 6 years ago a VP at a company I was working for gave me a link
to the Wired tutorials at Webmonkey ... and I became a 'MonkeyJunkie'.

It was great fun. I started doing static personal pages and the weekly
standings for the company bowling team.  After a few months I had one
of those "Aha!" moments and suddenly visualized the value a set of
web-based intranet applications could have for my company ... and, of
course, how dramatically that could cut my personal workload!  ;-)

(Kind of ironic that 'laziness' can spur that much effort!)

Anyway, that was all the incentive I needed to learn as much as I
could about this web junk! I started buying books ... and building
those apps. (Oh Heck, I'm still building those apps.)

[Historical note - I think that was very close to the time that evolt
'evolved' out of the MonkeyJunkie forums.]

HTH,

RonL.
(Some old guy who started cutting code a very loooooong time ago.)