[thelist] Page width and good web design

Stephen Rider evolt_org at striderweb.com
Tue Jun 29 09:27:34 CDT 2004

Here's a little experiment:

Pick up a newspaper that uses small columns, (The Wall Street Journal
is a great example).  Read a column.  Notice how fast your eyes are
able to scan down the text.

Now hold the page back a bit, and imagine that the text is one giant
column running from one edge of the page to the other.  You scan across
a line, and when you reach the end your eyes snap back to the left side
and... wait... what line were you on?

Extra wide text columns are very awkward to read, for several reasons.
It's tiring to scan across a long line, it's hard to keep your place,
and the text seems to read slower -- probably because you literally do
read slower that way, but also because you're taking longer to move
down the page....

There are studies on this stuff; I'm sorry I can't point you to any of
them off the top of my head.

Steve