[thelist] Text in columns (Re: Page width and good web design)

Drew Shiel ashiel at sportsinteraction.com
Tue Jun 29 10:22:14 CDT 2004

At 15:55 29/06/2004, James Denholm-Price wrote:

>Given that wide columns are a bit of a no-no, is it possible using
>markup + CSS to get text to flow in a columnar fashion in e.g. fluid
>layouts? I have a vague memory of having seen this done using
>JavaScript somewhere...

   The International Herald Tribune has a very nice columnar flow. That is,
I think it's nice; it seems to provoke that, or absolute hatred. You can
see an example here:

   http://www.iht.com/articles/527143.html

   ... or indeed, on any article on the site. It's a DHTML trick, afaik -
you can read an interview with its designer here:

   http://ordinary-life.net/index.php/weblog/an_interview_with_john_weir/

   Drew.