[thelist] Help: IE+AcroReader failing badly

Andrew Clover and-evolt at doxdesk.com
Tue Jun 29 19:04:35 CDT 2004

Manuel González Noriega <manuel at simplelogica.net> wrote:

> some PDF docs stored in a MySQL db.

> 'There was an error opening this document. This file cannot be found'

Oh, that's a blast from the past!

IIRC... it was usually a cacheing issue. Clear your IE cache and the PDF
plugin should work better. There are quite a few weird little things
like this that happen in IE when Temporary Internet Files fills up.

Due to this and a bunch of other issues with Acrobat trying and failing
to take over PDFs in various browsers, I believe we just gave up and
served the damned stuff as application/octet-stream. No-one complained,
as save-and-view tends to be much more convenient that trying to embed
in a browser.

--
Andrew Clover
mailto:and at doxdesk.com