[thelist] ADMIN: Please Trim Your Posts

Garrett Coakley garrett at polytechnic.co.uk
Wed Jun 30 08:08:07 CDT 2004

Hi,

Can I remind everyone to please trim their posts and only to quote
the relevant parts of the email they are replying to.

There have been quite a few posts coming through recently that are
not only top posting, but are top posting  6 or 7 line replies and
leaving in 100s of lines of previous discussion below.

We have a large number of people who subscribe to thelist through the
digest, and without effective trimming it makes it very difficult for
those people to follow discussions and threads.

The (always excellent) Digital Web magazine has a very good article
about writing effective mailing list email. I would urge you all to
take 10 minutes out of your day and give it a read.
http://www.digital-web.com/articles/how_to_write_effective_mailing_list_email/

G.
-- on behalf of evolt.org

<tip author="Garrett Coakley" type="Simple Box Model Hack">

Whenever you try and specify a width on a box level element that also
has padding or margin you will hit a problem with IE5.* incorrect
implementation of the box model.

The specifications say that the total width of a box is:
width + padding + border + margin

However, IE5.* will include the padding and border in the
declared width and then add the margin.

So given the following style:

p {
  width: 100px;
  margin: 10px 10px 10px 10px;
  padding: 10px 10px 10px 10px
}

In a standards compliant browser your <p> will be 140px wide (left
margin + left padding + width + right padding + right margin), whereas
in IE5.* the <p> will be 120px wide (the padding is included in the
100px width, effectively making the content area 80px wide).

The Simplified Box Model Hack allows you to feed different widths to
the relevant browsers, thereby neatly side stepping the problem.

p {
  width: 120px; /* IE5.*  */
  w\idth: 100px /* IE6 in standards mode */
  margin: 10px 10px 10px 10px;
  padding: 10px 10px 10px 10px
}

More details on the SMBH can be found at
http://www.doxdesk.com/personal/posts/css/20020212-bmh.html

and Eric Meyer has a nice breakdown of the rendering issue here:
http://www.ericmeyeroncss.com/bonus/render-mode.html

</tip>