[thelist] Local search engine for a website

Richard Bennett richard.bennett at skynet.be
Wed Jun 30 16:38:01 CDT 2004

On Wednesday 30 June 2004 23:15, Amy Johnson wrote:
> Well, with some additional searching I have found the following search
> engines that I could use for searching within a website:
>
> Swish-e
> mnoGoSearch
> htDig
> Fluid Dynamics Search Engine
> ASPSeek
>
> Any recommendations for or against any of these?

Hi,
I am using mnoGoSearch extensively to search documents in all office formats.
It allows showing an html version of the document, and the search-results
contain a snippet of the relevant text with highlighted search terms.

They have 2 versions, a GNU linux version, and a commercial windows version.
To get the most out of it, you need to have full access to the LINUX server,
and be comfortable recompiling PHP with the custom extensions and the like.

They have an active mailinglist and constant releases of updates.
Go with the latest dev release, not stable.

It is not suitable for indexing milions of webpages, but fine with 1/2 milion
or so.

I looked into HTDig and ASPSeek to, but i couldn't find any sign of active
development in either.

HTH
Richard.