[thelist] Limit Connection per IP

Rascator Tran rascator at truyentranh.com
Sat Jul 3 11:39:12 CDT 2004

Hi

I have a download site which allow user to download ZIPs, RARs...
Sometimes I open http://www.myserver.com/server-status and see that there are
alot of connections from 1 IP like this:

1.2.3.4 www.myserver.com GET /data/file1.zip HTTP/1.1
1.2.3.4 www.myserver.com GET /data/file1.zip HTTP/1.1
1.2.3.4 www.myserver.com GET /data/file1.zip HTTP/1.1
1.2.3.4 www.myserver.com GET /data/file1.zip HTTP/1.1
1.2.3.4 www.myserver.com GET /data/file1.zip HTTP/1.1
1.2.3.4 www.myserver.com GET /data/file1.zip HTTP/1.1
1.2.3.4 www.myserver.com GET /data/file1.zip HTTP/1.1 .....

The leecher from 1.2.3.4 just use some downloader like Flashget, NetAnt, etc...
And when the server was busy, some leecher like that would kill my server. Now
I want to do something but don't know how.

- Limit connection from any IP in general, for example 4 connections from each
IP
- Limit connection from 1 IP, eg. Only 11.22.33.44 can have 8 connections
- Limit connection from any IP for one specific file-type, eg. 2 connections
from each IP for ZIP, RAR
- Time limit: after download 1 files, user cannot process to download another
file after some time (eg. 5 mins)
- ... better suggest?

Please help.
Rascator

* I have root access to myserver ( Fedora Core 1, Apache 2.0.49 )

--
:( em dnatsrednu eno on