[thelist] OEM CDs

Linda R. lightly at sc.rr.com
Fri Jul 9 08:08:32 CDT 2004

Dan McCullough wrote:

> Thanks.
>
> I'm always worried about the looks to good to be true, and backup
> software and such.  Both of my PC guys had nothing to say as in they
> didn't know anything right or wrong so I thought I should put it out to
> a larger group.

If you're buying 'OEM' software from *anyone* other than the original
vendor, it's almost certainly illegal. OEM (Original Equipment
Manufacturer) software is licensed by the software developer to
*hardware manufacturers* specifically for inclusion in new 'complete'
systems, and often it's custom branded to match with the bundle deal or
hardware. OEM software is never authorized for resale by a third party.

--
Cheers,
Linda Rathgeber