[thelist] (possible) site downloader causing site to throw errors

Sarah Sweeney mr.sanders at designshift.com
Mon Jul 12 09:01:32 CDT 2004

A site that I work on has a ColdFusion error handler set up to send me
an email anytime the site throws an error. I've gotten a few of these
error reports which appear to be caused by a site downloader (or
something else, I'm not quite sure), which is munging the querystring.
The page that is throwing the error is reported to have a querystring
like this:
http://www.thesite.com/getfile.cfm?cat=3%26doc=46%26file=57
And the user agent reported is "Microsoft Data Access Internet
Publishing Provider Protocol Discovery". I've set up some IP tracking to
see if I can narrow down the origins of these requests, but it turns out
the IP address is one used by several users, so I figure it's either a
public computer or an IP being reassigned within an office. I've done
some googling on this user agent string, and haven't come up with
anything conclusive about where it comes from.

So I have 2 questions:
1) Is there a way to "repair" a querystring which has been munged like this?
2) Does anyone know where the UA string "Microsoft Data Access Internet
Publishing Provider Protocol Discovery" comes from? Is it something I
should worry about?

--
Sarah Sweeney
Web Developer & Programmer