[thelist] ASP.Net and web standards

Bird, Graham Graham.Bird at rspb.org.uk
Tue Jul 13 05:03:47 CDT 2004

Hi,

Can someone explain how ASP.Net affects the output of HTML, if at all?

Our developers have just made the transition to .Net for an online form
(multi-page) and they are having trouble keeping the XHTML template I
supplied clean and valid. The finished form has old HTML 4.0 style tags in
it (upper case, no closing slashes, etc.) and I'm not sure whether this is
the developers or the technology.

Also, I had used id attributes to style certain form elements, and their
code has overwritten the ids with the same text as the form element name
attribute (if that makes sense).

How much of this is under their control? For web standards ASP.Net seems
like a step back to me right now.

Any insight would be great.

Thanks,

Graham