[thelist] Recommendations for Intranet Applications

Burhan Khalid thelist at meidomus.com
Tue Jul 13 11:07:26 CDT 2004

Greetings Everyone:

   The company I work for is starting to evaluate applications/platforms
to create a intranet for employees.  We are a small company, with two
office locations.

   I have been put in charge of doing the research for possible
solutions for this project.  So far, all the applications that I have
come across are designed for enterprises and not small businesses.  So
far I have looked at Vignette Story Server and BEA WebLogic, and I
really don't know what to google for. I tried "intranet portals"
"employee portals", but none really led me anywhere useful.

   So I'm looking for some recommendations from the Evolt community. The
functionality that we would really like are some sort of payroll
integration (employee can login and see his benefits/earnings
statement), integration with our client billing system, a place where
the employee can enter a purchase request for supplies (ie, need a new
scanner, etc.) and any other functionality that would add to improve
efficiency.

   It would be ideal if the portal would have email integration, task
assignments, scheduling, etc.

   I'm realistic so I realize that there may not be a product that does
all this; so we are prepared to have to write some custom modules,
components, to add some functionality that we need.  However, it should
provide enough of a base (and a strong API) so that we can get it
running in short order -- and then add our specific modules later.

   So does anyone have any suggestions?  I'm really lost as to where to
look next.

Thanks,
Burhan Khalid