[thelist] help with banner design/concepts

Tom Dell'Aringa pixelmech at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 14 10:08:11 CDT 2004

Hi folks,

Every month I have to design or update a couple banners for our homepage. You can view them on our
home page, they are the two at the bottom of the page:

http://www.servicemaster.com/homepage.dsp

(I often do the one on the right side too)

In any event, you can see they are quite cluttered in that they seem to want the following in each
banner:

1. The brand prominently displayed
2. The offer prominent (save 15%, etc)
3. Some kind of related photo
4. The learn more button

They work okay as they are but I just feel like they could be done better. I've searched the web
for banner tips but all I get is horrible marketing garbage. I'm open to tips and suggestions and
any resources you could point me to on good solid banner design would be great. We're not going to
do any garbage like animations, fake elements and so on - I'm looking for solid banner design
principles that work!

Thanks!

Tom

=====