[thelist] what a server is running

David Dorward evolt at david.us-lot.org
Mon Jul 19 08:34:50 CDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-07-19 at 14:18, Dan McCullough wrote:
> I cant remember the command or check to run, but isnt there away to find
> out what webserver software and os a domain is running?

Well, you could try using nmap to fingerprint the servers - but that is
likely to make you very unpopular, very quickly.

You could also try looking at the HTTP response headers from their web
server - but those can't be depended on.

> Just wondering because I am looking at a company as a vendor and they have given me
> conflicting information about what they are using for software.

Then the odds are that either:

1: They use different bits of software in different parts of the company

2: Their support staff aren't very good and you should look elsewhere
before you get a problem they can't fix

3: All of the above
--
David Dorward       <http://blog.dorward.me.uk/>   <http://dorward.me.uk/>