[thelist] SVG in Framemaker (was Re: SVG to JPG)

Diane Soini dianesoini at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 21 20:12:24 CDT 2004

I wanted to reply to my own post because I finally took a breath of air
and gave this problem some thought. The answer was to tell the CTO to
stop trying to insert SVGs into Framemaker and instead to use Visio.
(Sometimes you just don't want let the C-Level folks near the
machinery!)

a) Visio is what most of our subject matter experts already know how to
use
b) You can import Visio into Framemaker and it will scale and print
very well
c) best of all, when you use WebWorks to export the Framemaker document
to HTML it tranlsates the Visio object into SVG.
Wonderful!

On Wednesday, July 21, 2004, at 12:26 PM,
thelist-request at lists.evolt.org wrote:

> On Tuesday, July 20, 2004, at 04:03 AM,
> thelist-request at lists.evolt.org wrote
>>
>> That probably means that there *is* an error in the
>> SVG file, but IE is letting you get away with it but
>> rendering something that looks like what you want
>> (sound familiar?).
>>
>> If so, this means two things:
>>
>> 1. You are relying on undefined behavior from Internet
>> Explorer (i.e. how it will handle a certain type of
>> error).
>>
> I do not doubt that as the application that produces the SVGs is IE
> centric. Turns out I won't be needing to turn it into JPG after all
> (at least that's the latest on this moving target of a project.)
>
>>   What
>> exactly was the error message?  Have you verified
>> that your SVGs are in fact valid?
>>
> I think the error was related to the use of javascript. I have not
> verified the SVGs are valid and it wouldn't help since I cannot affect
> them much.
>
> Now my problem is how to get the SVGs into Framemaker so that they can
> be exported through WebWorks embedded web pages (that's the relatively
> easy part) and so that no matter what size the SVG is it will fit in
> the space allotted and look as good printed as on screen. I can't seem
> to accomplish this at all.
>
> I'm going to make myself busy with something else and hope they ask
> somebody else about this. The whole project is designed to eliminate
> the need for middle-men (which means web designers, proofreaders and
> other content providers.)

***
Don't be afraid to try something new. An amateur built the ark.
Professionals built the Titanic. -unknown