Does web design have a future in 'high wage' countries? (was RE: [thelist] RE: Template Monster [WAS: A Beginner Freelance Question])

Chris George cgeorge at basecorp.com
Fri Jul 23 16:18:11 CDT 2004

> What would you advise newcomers to the field to do?  We have
> a drastic learning curve to follow if we ever want to keep up
> with the people who have years of experience.

I would advise that you put too much stock in our vast experience. Other
than some fun "war stories" and the odd general "rule of thumb" that
gets created from really special projects, I have nothing in my memory
that I can actually carry over to projects from about a year and a half
ago, maybe less.

It's obsolescence at it's worst, really.

And my schooling in Multimedia from ... Gah... 6 years ago?

Chya. Right.

My student loan lasted 4x longer than the relevant knowledge did, that's
for sure.