[thelist] RE: Does web design have a future in'highwage'countries? (wasQuestion])

Seth Thomas Rasmussen seth at sethrasmussen.com
Fri Jul 23 18:27:55 CDT 2004

Okay, this type of argument needs to die a swift death. I don't know
about FrontPage, and am pretty much inclined to write it off solely on
the basis of the sites I've seen made with it, but Dreamweaver, in the
right hands, is nothing more than an advanced text editor with built in
FTP client. And in that capacity it can be, and IS for me, VERY
beneficial to my coding. It makes repetitive tasks quicker and is a
useful organizational tool.

You guys seem eager to blame this (overseas cheap labor) or that
(WYSIWYG editors) when the real blame falls, as it does in every
situation, on the people. Either that or the solution lies there, not in
Web standards or some new product that is supposedly more open and
better than its predecessors.

It's US, people. And that's not the abbreviation for the United States,
it's an emphasized representation of "us". :)

Like I've been saying, I honestly feel that if we want to avoid these
doomed futures, we have to take it upon ourselves to change things for
the better in whatever small increments we can. Remember that
individuals and smaller groups always hold the ultimate trump card: the
greater powers that be rely on us for their livelihood, and if we decide
to change the game, they have no choice but to go along.