[thelist] RE: Does web design have a future in 'high wage'countries? (wasQuestion])

RUST Randal RRust at COVANSYS.com
Mon Jul 26 06:56:25 CDT 2004

YoYoEtc wrote:

> What I would like to know is how do these foreigners get
> these skills in
> the first place.

There are big universities that basically give them their degrees (at
least in India). My impression is that it is not quite the same level of
education that one would get in the U.S. This is based on my daily
involvement with the offshore team and domestic resources that have come
here from India.

> Don't tell me - H1B visas to work in this country, get their
> tuition paid
> here, and go back to their own country and drain us dry!

That's not exactly true. A lot of the ones that I know have been here
long enough to obtain their Green Cards and do not want to go back to
India.

We are also seeing a new trend -- companies are starting to limit the
number of workers that they bring over to the U.S. on these special
visas. Part of it is that the government has reduced the number of visas
they will allow. But the big factor seems to be that companies have
finally caught on to the fact that it's pointless to pay someone on an
H1B to sit here and to development at $65/hr. when they could be paying
them $7/hr. to stay in India.

Unfortunately, that still doesn't create more jobs in the U.S. It just
send more work and money somewhere else.