[thelist] Please trim, please don't top post.

William Anderson neuro at well.com
Mon Jul 26 08:25:44 CDT 2004

Ken Schaefer wrote:
> Thanks for sharing what *you* like. <sarcasm>Let's all change our habits
> because Liam prefers things a certain way.</sarcasm>

Top posting and not trimming replies are behaviourally "wrong" for several
reasons:

1) http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1855.html
2) http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/usenet/brox.html
3) http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html
4) http://www.xs4all.nl/~hanb/documents/quotingguide.html

Your rationale for preferring top-posting are your own personal reasons, so
it's rather unfair to berate someone asking for netiquette adherence by
saying it's they way they "prefer things".  Bottom posting for
conversational flow is something that's been the de-facto reply standard in
email and usenet for decades - why mess with something because new
technologies don't cater for or don't respect standards?

btw, reading thelist over gprs is your choice, I suppose, but reading a
high-volume list on a mobile device?  You're brave :)

--
_ __/|  William Anderson      | Brodie: The Force is strong with this one
\`O_o'  neuro at well dot com |    Jay: Dude, don't encourage him