[thelist] RE: Does web design have a future in 'high wage'co untries? (wasQuestion])

Diane Soini dianesoini at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 26 09:36:38 CDT 2004

On Monday, July 26, 2004, at 04:09 AM, thelist-request at lists.evolt.org
wrote:

> Based in one of those "poor countries," South Africa, I can only
> assume that
> I am included in the "foreigner" category.  Due to foreign exchange
> rates,
> yes it does allow us to create and develop web sites for US$5 to US$25
> per
> hour.
>
> How this makes us in any way inferior I don't know.

I, for one, do not believe for a minute that people anywhere else are
inferior. That is part of what makes this "new world" so scary.

>  Your hourly rates are a weeks
> wages to us "foreigners" in "poor countries"

Exactly. That is the exact problem. You see, while companies can
purchase the cheapest labor they can find from anywhere in the world, I
still have to rent an apartment in my country, and I still have to
purchase my fresh produce here and they would like to prohibit me from
purchasing my medications from anywhere but here, etc. $5 an hour would
be just fine if $5 an hour could afford me more than a cardboard box in
a canyon and tortillas for breakfast.

The problem for me isn't that others can do the job better or cheaper
than me, or that my standard of living deserves to be higher than
others'. The problem is that while companies can purchase labor
anywhere in the world, I cannot purchase all my daily life necessities
from anywhere in the world at any price I would like. And efforts to do
that, such as when Americans want to buy drugs from Canada, are met
with giant corporations trying to get laws passed against it.

I am tethered to my place on the globe, wherever that may be. And I
think I am beginning to see that unless it is a job that can be done in
person, it makes little sense to pursue it as an occupation. Perhaps
South Africa, India, China or wherever are cheap today, but that will
not always be the case. Will web design remain an occupation done in
person? Perhaps, but it is not entirely certain. It may be better to
pursue setting up the hardware than creating the software.

Diane

***
Don't be afraid to try something new. An amateur built the ark.
Professionals built the Titanic. -unknown