[thelist] ASP and PHP Correlation

RUST Randal RRust at COVANSYS.com
Tue Jul 27 08:41:44 CDT 2004

Rob Smith asked a very good question:

> Do you associate ASP with
> the corporate environment and PHP with the Freelance environment?

Personally, yes. However there are a lot of indications that more and
more corporate environments are turning to PHP and MySQL in order to
lower costs.

However, in the corporate world, the thinking is often different. The
line is drawn between open source and corporate products.

I wish I had a dollar for every time some made a comment about PHP being
open source and that we'd never use it because of that. Yet we use
Struts in all of our J2EE applications.

Basically it's an education issue. Unfortunately, a lot of the time
people don't want to take the time to get themselves educated.