[thelist] ASP and PHP Correlation

Joel D Canfield joel at spinhead.com
Tue Jul 27 09:14:38 CDT 2004

> > I just had an interesting thought. Do you associate ASP with the
> > corporate environment and PHP with the Freelance environment?

To some extent, but I also feel that's changing (as I'm planning to do.)

> For people who want to connect a database to a web site
> without paying Redmond serious cash, though, there's Perl,
> PHP, Python, etc etc.

Or, if you qualify for MS's charity pricing structure, you can be an all
MS shop and still not pay serious cash.

I'm going to be changing my own web dev SOHO from ASP to PHP, and then
working on doing the same conversion at work. I've always built
intranets on MSSQL with ASP and lots of IE-specific code. I'd like to
move away from that as much as possible. I'm no longer totally
comfortable with IE, especially after playing with FireFox a bit.

joel