[thelist] ASP and PHP Correlation

Ken Schaefer ken.schaefer at gmail.com
Tue Jul 27 20:00:37 CDT 2004

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 08:16:24 -0500, Rob Smith <rob.smith at thermon.com> wrote:
> I just had an interesting thought. Do you associate ASP with the corporate
> environment and PHP with the Freelance environment?
>
> Rob Smith

To an extent (though I'd replace ASP with ASP.NET).

For larger scale applications you need more than just a front-end.
You'll probably need various separate app servers. You need some kind
of transaction system, and you may need some kind of messaging system.
You may also need some kind of app integration system/server as well.
You also need the development tools (from IDEs, to project management
tools, to modelling tools to unit testing tools) to support the
complexity of the system, and the number of developers working on it.
That's the type of area that vendors like IBM, Oracle, BEA, the ERP
companies (and more recently Microsoft) dominate.

Smaller scale apps are probably all sorts of things depending on the
history of the company. Companies that have a lot of money invested in
Microsoft technologies (like Access, VB apps, SQL Server) probably
have ASP/ASP.NET apps. But other companies have invested in J2EE, or
CF. Companies that have a lot of *nix, and have been quicker to
embrace Linux, probably have a lot of Perl or PHP stuff going on.

I think there are plenty of "freelancers" (though I think they
generally refer to themselves as "consultants") who use Microsoft
technologies. On the other hand, there are also plenty of companies
doing work with PHP (and other open source products)

Cheers
Ken