[thelist] script alternative for static web site

Ken Schaefer ken.schaefer at gmail.com
Tue Jul 27 21:29:08 CDT 2004

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 19:16:19 -0700, Diane Soini
<dianesoini at earthlink.net> wrote:
> I am looking for a way to do file system operations on a server. Is
> there a way to use javascript? The server has no traditional scripting
> capabilites (i.e. cgi/perl, asp, php etc.) It's a Windows machine. I
> have no way to connect to it other than ftp and http.
>
> What I want to do is traverse a tree of directories and read some
> files, process the info, then write out a file. What can be run
> (without installing anything) that will let me do that through http? On
> the other server I've got a nice perl script, but I'm stumped for what
> I could use on this other server given the limitations. Any suggestions?

Hi,

ASP pages can be written using javascript. You would use the File
System Object (FSO) to do the work. You would need IIS as your
webserver to use ASP pages.

You are going to need something that can run on the server. HTTP and
FTP by themselves provide no dynamic capabilities (they are just
communication mechanisms for conveying information between your client
and your server, not for performing dynamic actions on the server).

If you have WebDAV enabled, you could get a listing of files/folders
from the server onto your local machine, do the work, and then upload
a file back to the server.

Cheers
Ken