[thelist] Client Updates to SSI .inc file

Joshua Olson joshua at waetech.com
Wed Jul 28 22:02:04 CDT 2004

Often times the cost of doing things the cheap way is much higher than doing
it the right way.  This job sounds like something that any competent
developer could whip out in less than a couple hours using a database backed
method.  Finding all these work arounds to not use a database is destined to
cost a lot more when you consider the time you've invested in simply reading
these threads, not to mention actually implementing some duct taped solution
that won't have any applicability down the road.  Many developers (and I'm
saying that you are one of them) overprice database work simply because of
the word "database".  This should not be the case, unless the database work
is complex enough to actually warrant it.

It's almost ALWAYS easier to implement the right solution using appropriate
solutions than it is to try to make an inferior technology work outside of
it's normal capacities.

I highly recommend that you consider the REAL cost of implementing the
database solution version what you are trying to do.  I think you'll find
that the database solution is cheaper in the short AND in the long run.
The, go back to the client and talk straight dollars.. "the way we were
going will cost x, but if I go this other way, it'll cost y."  if they are
non-techy, don't bother saying that the solution involves a database--talk
capabilities from a business perspective, not about underlying technology
(unless they ask).

Just my 2 cents.

Joshua Olson
Web Application Engineer