[thelist] 1 form, 2 destinations

Rob Smith rob.smith at THERMON.com
Thu Jul 29 08:32:30 CDT 2004

Hi,

I want to start your creative juices this morning with an interesting
problem. I have one form (method="POST"), and I want the form data sent to
two places. The primary action of the form is and has to remain pointing to
another server (Pay pal for example), and I want the form data to also go
somewhere else?

I would really like to open the Pay pal screen in a new window, so the
customer can pay, as well as send the form data to a order submission
process to email customer service there's a new order or what have you.

I was hoping to do something like this:

<form action="https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr" method="post"
target="_blank" onSubmit="window.location.href='ThankYou.asp'">
<input type="image" src="grfx/ProceedToCheckout.gif" name="submit"
width="200" height="35">
</form>

But this goes to the ThankYou.asp page, not to the action page.

The other creative way I was thinking about doing this is like so:

1.  Proceed to check out
2.  Checkout clicked
3.  Change action to order submit page
4.  Submit order to Customer Service via email
5.  Direct browser to a page with all the previous form data
6.  New page has onLoad=Form.submit with all the form data from before
7.  Customer pays
8.  Fill the order pending payment received
9.  Ship Goods
10. Inform Customer of Tracking Number

Basically, you're achieving the 1 form, with 2 destinations problem, but in
the background, it's really two forms with two destinations, and one action.

Thanks for your input,

Rob Smith