[thelist] Re: Client Updates to SSI .inc file

John.Brooking at sappi.com John.Brooking at sappi.com
Thu Jul 29 09:04:42 CDT 2004

Bob Haroche wrote:

>My client wants to update a long list of store locations on their own.
><snip /> I know I can convert the listing to a database driven
>solution, but we're looking for something less expensive to develop
>here. Typically, the store listings will need to be coded like this:

>Arizona&nbsp;&nbsp;85018</span><br>

I'm jumping in here late, and others have already suggested some good,
simple non-DB solutions, as well as confirmed the desirability of a DB
solution (with which I agree), but I'll nevertheless add another option to
the mix.

I'm developing a system called Shoestring CMS, which is really more of a
site data-maintenance system than a full CMS. It allows a site to separate
out its data elements (such as stores, in your case) from the presentation
of that data, so that the data is stored in separate files (currently CSV).
Once this is done, it provides for editing of that data by non-technical
people remotely through HTML forms, as well as use of that data in any
number of places on the site, with customizable sorting and filtering
options in each place. The situation you have is just what I had in mind
when I was writing it, and Shoestring should easily be able to handle it.

Shoestring is written in Perl, and I am making it available free of charge.
(I'm hoping to earn some money setting it up, but pretty much anyone on this
list could set it up themselves. Knowledge of Perl is helpful but not
required.) The good news is that I do have a working version. The bad news
is that I'm in the middle of overhauling my web site, so it's not of much
use right now. But if you go to http://www.shoestringcms.com/, there is a
link to a working demo, and I can email you the code if you are interested.
I'm also in the middle of overhauling the manual, but I can send you what I
have so far. (It's complete for an older version, but I haven't finished
documenting the new features yet.) The old version required Exec-SSI to
include the content, but the new version eliminates that requirement by
rewriting static pages whenever the data changes. (Although Exec-SSI is
still an option, such as for request-time sensitive content like calendar
items.)

My point in doing this was to provide a solution to small business and
non-profits who may not have access to their own servers, such as those
running on ISP's. Even ISP's sometimes make mySQL available, but many do
not, so I wanted to involve as few different technologies as possible.
Obviously this is only a solution for small sites.

I am building a mailing list of people to notify when I have everything all
ready for release. Some people on this list are already on it. Please let me
know (Bob or anyone else) if you would like to be added to it.

John Brooking, Application Developer
Sappi Fine Paper
South Portland, ME, 04106 USA
--

This message may contain information which is private, privileged or
confidential and is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity