[thelist] How important is height when using tables?

Chris Johnston chris at fuzzylizard.com
Sat Jul 31 08:12:54 CDT 2004

Johnson, Christopher (MTO) wrote:

>Just a quick question that I have been wondering about for the last few
>days. When design a site using tables for the layout, how important is it to
>state a table and/or cell height? Is there any speed gained in telling the
>browser the height of a cell versus not when it comes to rendering a table?
>Is there underlying reason to leave the height attribute off when working
>with tables?

Wow, did not expect this to cause such a big discussion. I was trying to
avoid the whole tables vs. css based layout by adding the p.s. at the
end of the post. The reason for the question is that I have several
tables that are being used to layout some forms. Each td element has a
height attribute associated with it. I was just wondering if removing
the height attribute would make any difference in the rendering of the
table.

chris