[thelist] How important is height when using tables?

the head lemur headlemur at lemurzone.com
Sat Jul 31 21:44:42 CDT 2004

> Upgrading a browser is fairly easy to do, even for not-so-savvy computer
> users. Learning how to use the upgraded version of a browser is also not
> very difficult. Even learning a totally new browser is pretty easy,
> cause they are fairly similar in functionality and layout (if not in how
> they display web pages). Like pulling a tooth, it will hurt briefly, but
> the pain will go away, and leave the "patient" feeling much better :)

Then a career change to dentistry may be in order:)

There is still a large portion of the world that is not only using dial-up
but also paying by the minute for the service. They also do not have the
latest equipment nor the latest OS to run new browsers. In addition most of
these folks do not have English as their first language. A 5-10 MB download
represents a significant monetary and time outlay, as well as requiring in
most cases a certain OS to run.

> I think we should, as long as client/employer/time constraints allow us
> to, make the switch from table-based layouts to CSS-based layouts. We
> just need to make sure our pages degrade gracefully enough that users
> can easily access the content of the pages; if they don't get the
> "pretty" version of the site, too bad.

If you code properly, tables or not It will be understandable, if not
'gracefully', which is one of those overused emotive words that  get tossed
off when folks  get new equipment or get a faster connection or in extreme
cases trolling.

> Honestly, I think all this coddling of users with older browsers is just
> holding the industry back and not doing anyone any good. It encourages
> users to not bother upgrading, and encourages (a lot of) developers to
> not bother learning new techniques.

'coddling'-see above...

Since I not only build sites, but also computers and networks, I could get
on board with a bump in my income, so send all them backwater, backwoods,
and good enough folks over to me. We will get 'em into the 21st century,
even if we have to sell their cars to do it. However, some groups and
companies have very clear requirements regarding browsers and surfing, which
makes problematic making me filthy rich and you happy.

the head lemur

Interviews: http://www.lemurzone.com/pixelview/
blog: http://theheadlemur.typepad.com/
Community: http://www.evolt.org