[thelist] MM Contribute viability? (was MM Contribute errors)

Karl Jacobs kj at studio.aero.org
Mon Aug 2 16:11:35 CDT 2004

>>  Again, because you
>>  lose control and are not able to make the best site possible, and why? Just
>>  so one can crank one more site out and so users can edit a Web site as if it
>>  were a Word document. Nevermind the fact that it's NOT a Word document, nor
>  > is it even close...
>

>While I get your point about how a web site isn't a Word doc - to be
>able to have certain people
>across our enterprise edit a web page as if it were - that is GOLD
>baby. I'd gladly take the hit
>to my amount of control over look and feel if we could get a viable
>workflow and editing process
>in place for changes. We waste so much time (read MONEY) making
>changes because its hard to do -
>even for me sometimes - the "expert" himself.
>
>Example: If I want to make a new nav item/page in our intranet, I
>have a list of *62* steps I have
>to go through to do so - sixty two freaking steps.

Well, I'm in a situation where I'm doing every bloody thing by hand
in BBedit.  So for me, handing over the content updates to an
micro-managing editor who wants to dictate every part of the text
presentation, using Contribute is a life-saver.

If you don't have the resources to build a custom CMS, or buy one of
the large-enterprise packages, going with Contribute seems like a
good (but by no means perfect) choice. (I'm a designer, not a
programmer or admin).

The thing that really interests me with Contribute 3 is how they are
going into the enterprise space, with the server back-end package.

Also, I would imagine it depends on what your users are updating as
well.  For the static pages that my users will be touching,
Contribute is the best solution I have seen.

For my left-nav problems, I'll be editing those files by hand, but at
least it's an include file, and it's pure CSS, so no graphics to make.

I also like the fact that I can hide most of the CSS from the users,
so they can't get crazy with colors.

Overall, it sure beats giving my users Dreamweaver.

-- KJ