[thelist] How important is height when using tables?

Seth Thomas Rasmussen seth at sethrasmussen.com
Tue Aug 3 11:40:27 CDT 2004

Karl Jacobs said:
Well, this kind of rules out Flash, doesn't it?...  :-)

It's all an issue of audience.  If part of your audience is in this
category, then a low-bandwith version of you site is in order.  But
the TD issue is a rendering issue in the browser, not a download
issue.

You really need to look at your site stats to see what users from
different countries are using, and plan accordingly. (I would also
imagine that it could open a nightmare of browser-OS testing).
---

Also, certain people seem content to ignore the issue of graceful
degredation. So, let's say I've done my cutting-edge (edge ain't that sharp
anymore, people...) CSS layout, but the poor, unfortunate, downtrodden
masses that simply *groan* CAN'T be bothered to upgrade their browser
doesn't support my styles.

OH NO GUESS WHAT: I'm a smart lil' coder, so my site degrades without
affecting the structure of the information. Headings are still headings,
lists are lists, etc. Nothing is lost except frills and presentation which
ultimately do not matter anyway.

So, what leg do the stubborn old table-based coders have to stand on again?
Ignoring the non-issue points about bandwidth etc., most of which actually
FURTHER support moving ahead with modern methods, what exactly do the
old-school have to say?

I don't understand. If done right, modern techniques will cause you at WORST
to lose the visual presentation in old browsers. Quirks in IE5 maybe. That's
it! Information intact! Life is good! EVOLUTION IS AT WORK.

What's the problem?? :)

http://evolt.org/help_support_evolt/