using tables for layout (was RE: [thelist] How important is height when using tables?)

Joel D Canfield joel at spinhead.com
Tue Aug 3 12:52:16 CDT 2004

> So, what leg do the stubborn old table-based coders have to
> stand on again?
> Ignoring the non-issue points about bandwidth etc., most of
> which actually
> FURTHER support moving ahead with modern methods, what exactly do the
> old-school have to say?

I don't hear anyone saying that it's a good idea to use tables for
layout. All I hear are folks (including me) saying that there are times
when, as the coder, *it's not your choice.*

If it *is* my choice, I'm not going to use tables for layout. We're with
you on this graceful degradation thing, and the forward-moving-bringing
the web into the future thing. Honest we are. It's just not a 'given' in
every single case.

joel