[thelist] Question about valid html 4.01

Michael Pack michaelpack at wvdhhr.org
Fri Aug 6 15:11:38 CDT 2004

Chris,

NAME must be all lowercase to validate, that should clear up your
problem.

<form action="action.htm" method="post" NAME="formname"> will not
validate.....
<form action="action.htm" method="post" name="formname"> will validate

Regards,
MP

>>> Christopher.Johnson at mto.gov.on.ca 8/6/2004 3:46:36 PM >>>
Hello,

I am trying to validate some jsp pages and keep coming up against one
problem. I have some form tags that are being generated by the Struts
html
lag library. The problem, when I run the source through the W3C html
validator is that it keeps saying that the attribute name is invalid
for the
given doctype. However, when I check the w3scools html 4.01 reference,
it
says that name is a valid attribute for the form tag.

Now for a little background.

Here is the doctype that I am using:
<!doctype html public "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">

here is the error that the validator is displaying:
Line 130, column 11: there is no attribute "NAME"
<form name="PartySearchForm" method="POST" action="foo.html">

I always thought that name was a valid attribute. Any ideas what is
going on
here?

chris

http://evolt.org/help_support_evolt/