[thelist] Question about valid html 4.01

David Dorward evolt at david.us-lot.org
Fri Aug 6 17:01:21 CDT 2004

On Fri, 2004-08-06 at 21:53, Johnson, Christopher (MTO) wrote:

> My question then is if I am using the doctype for 4.0, which I quite
> obviously am, why does the W3C validator attempt to validate the page
> against html 4.01?

It doesn't. That is why the name attribute, which exists in 4.01 but not
4.0 is marked as invalid.

>  In addition, how much difference can there be between
> HTML 4.0 Transitional and HTML 4.01 Transitional?

A fair bit. 4.01 was a bug fix release, and there were quite a few bugs.

http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/appendix/changes.html#h-A.1
--
David Dorward       <http://blog.dorward.me.uk/>   <http://dorward.me.uk/>