[thelist] Totalling MySQL records in PHP

Alan McCoy a.r.mccoy at larc.nasa.gov
Mon Aug 9 08:05:45 CDT 2004

I'm trying to add up the total dollar amount from a column of prices. I've
thought about doing like the following:

1. Total the amounts in the MySQL query and then printing the total like so,

	$result = mysql_query("SELECT a.agent, g.agent, g.gear, c.gear,
SUM(g.fee) AS total_fee FROM flpagnt AS a, flpgear AS g, flpgrcde AS c WHERE
a.agent = '01001' AND a.agent = g.agent AND g.gear = c.gear");
	$row = mysql_fetch_assoc($result);
	echo "Total fees collected: ".$row['total_fee']."<br>";

But this doesn't work for some reason. I get a "mysql_fetch_assoc():
supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource" error back.

== OR ==

2. Use PHP to add up the total from an array of all the collected data from
that column ($row['fee'] for example). That way I figure I can use one query
for the whole thing and just total things up using PHP. But I haven't been
able to find any code that shows how to do this.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Alan