[thelist] Arguing with my ISP over DNS problem

Ken Schaefer ken.schaefer at gmail.com
Wed Aug 11 02:21:01 CDT 2004

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 23:20:53 -0700, Mark Groen <mark at markgroen.com> wrote:
> [...]

A lot more things than just "web browsers" use DNS. On any network
now, how do you think a client machine contacts a server for
resources? DNS. Doesn't matter if it's *nix, MacOS or Windows -
everything uses DNS to find everything

> Why should someone have to go through all this
> just to get a proper lookup via a browser even though the registrars
> etc. say the nameservers are correct, days later? Home computers
> afaik didn't need a local DNS cache up until XP/ME and it's created
> nothing but headaches for me so far when it comes to moving sites
> from one nameserver to another (in isolated cases), why change
> something that has worked splendidly all these years?

But you don't even know whether the DNS cache has anything to do with it...

If the DNS cache was the problem, then changing the DNS servers to
your own wouldn't have solved the problem - there would still be
incorrect entries in the cache, and those would still be used by the
browser rather than your DNS server's correct entries.

Cheers
Ken