[thelist] Deploying Video with Flash

Rich Osborne R.M.Osborne at exeter.ac.uk
Fri Aug 13 03:27:53 CDT 2004

I switched over recently to Flash for exactly the same reasons as yourself.
The Real format in particular is a real pain in the neck, and is extremely
difficult to change format once it's encoded, not to mention the enormous
download for people without the player.

One thing I have come across though is problems with large flash files
running with IE and Opera (but not Mozilla, or IE on Mac for that matter).
When using the same technique to run a video from CD-ROM, there is a pause
before the page loads that seems to be directly linked to the size of the
flash movie. Bear in mind though that I am talking about movies in the tens
of megabytes. To give an example, a 20Mb movie seems to be about 10 seconds,
whereas 120Mb is well over a minute.

Rich Osborne.