[thelist] Data Modeling tools, any suggestions?

Chris Johnston chris at fuzzylizard.com
Fri Aug 13 20:46:03 CDT 2004

I sent this email earlier, but did not see it go through, so I apologize
if it is a double.

Websites use databases, so I hope this is not too off topic. Anyway, I
am looking for recommendations for Data Modeling tools. Basically what
I am looking for is a tool that will allow me to create an ER, or data
model diagram, based on a target DBMS and then once complete output
the necessary sql script to create the database.

I have used DBDesigner 4 for this, but it is specifically targeted to
MySQL. I am embarking on a project that will use either PostgreSQL or
Oracle (I have not made up my mind yet). In addition, I have also used
Borland Together Community Edition, but it does not allow for scripts
to be generated and I can not find anywhere where you can tell it what
DBMS to use. This last step is wanted to make sure that the data types
in the model match the data types of the DBMS.

I am a student, so money is an issue, but if it is a good program than
I don't mind spending the cash.

Anyone have any favorite tools that they use for this?

chris